The Piprahwa Jewels
After the discovery at Bidpur the Government of India, heeding the advice of Prince Prisdang who had since become The Ven Jinavaravansa, donated the fragments of bone and ashes to the King of Siam who subsequently shared them with Buddhist communities in other countries. The remainder of the find, e.g the stone coffer, the reliquary urns and the items referred to as ‘treasure’ were placed in the Imperial Museum in Calcutta. W. C. Peppé was allowed to retain a number of items from the excavation, these have remained within the Peppé family since 1898. The photos included in this gallery are of some of the jewels and sarira that W. C. Peppé was permitted to keep.
All pictures courtesy of the Peppé family - please request permission before reprinting or reproducing online.